Gladstone has an Academy Committee. The Academy Committee is responsible for ensuring high-quality teaching and learning and good outcomes for pupils. Other aspects of governance are the responsibility of Thomas Deacon Academy Education Trust.
Local Governing Body Membership
Chair of Academy Committee, John Turner
John Turner is Impact and Improvement Officer at Carers Trust Cambridgeshire. He has volunteered and worked within the charity sector for over 10 years in a variety of roles, which has included involvement in an area based curriculum, supporting young carers and their families. John is also a trustee of the Deacon's School Trust and a former student of Gladstone Primary School.
John has responsibility for safeguarding.
Geoff Walls, Associate Governor
Donna was born and raised in Dogsthorpe Peterborough and attended John Mansfield Secondary School then Peterborough Regional College. Donna has worked for various Government departments, most recently as an Employer Adviser, supporting both employers to recruit and Peterborough people to find work.
Before becoming a Director of Thomas Deacon Academy, Donna was a Governor of a local Primary school for several years.
Gary has three grown up children, one of whom works in education and four grandchildren who are at various stages in their education.
He works as a Regional Sales Manager in Environmental Services in London and the South East and has a wide breadth of experience. Gary has worked as a governor in several local primary schools and is now a governor on our Academy Committee.
Details coming soon.
He has also served as an Independent Member of Cambridgeshire Police Authority, as a Non-Executive Director of an NHS Healthcare Trust and as an Elected Cambridgeshire County Councillor.
Ansar is active in voluntary community work as a Governor at Peterborough Regional College, director and presenter at Salaam Radio and UK co-ordinator for the charity British Friends of Islamgarh Welfare Trust. He has also have served as a Magistrate (Justice of Peace).
Sukaina is a qualified Teacher of Ethics, Philosophy and Humanities. She holds a Masters in Education and is passionate in empowering young learners to develop their future skills and abilities.
Sukaina also holds a Certificate in Muslim Chaplaincy and she is actively involved in both community and Interfaith work. Currently she is the Chair of the Peterborough Standing Advisory Council for Religious Education (SACRE).
Academy Committee Meeting Dates
Thursday 11th October 2018
Thursday 6th December 2018
Thursday 7th February 2019
Thursday 21st March 2019
Thursday 16th May 2019
Thursday 4th July 2019
Local Governing Body Terms of Reference
The LGB’s key responsibility is to ensure that pupils' learning progress and development is at the heart of the Academy's priorities.
It shall consist of at least six local governors.
At least half termly - the committee shall meet six times a year plus other times as required.
The quorum shall be four local governors. The committee shall not meet without the Headteacher or their representative being present. There is an open invitation to the CEO and Trustees.
Terms of Reference:
* To ensure that the Academy sets suitable learning challenges, responds to pupils’ diverse learning needs and overcomes barriers to learning for individuals and groups of students.
* To monitor pupil progress and attainment and receive regular reports on the analysis of test and assessment results from both key stages.
* To monitor and review Academy, local and national performance information and data relating to the Academy.
* To report to the Trust Board on the achievement and progress of pupils throughout the Academy.
* To measure and review the effectiveness and input of the Academy Improvement Plan and the post-Ofsted action plan.
* To understand, and contribute to, the Academy’s self-evaluation form.
* To set, monitor and review priorities as agreed by the CEO, Headteacher and Chair of the LGB.
Recent minutes can be downloaded below