Please note, the consultation has now closed.
Thomas Deacon Education Trust would welcome your views on a proposed change to the Admission Number for Gladstone Primary Academy for 2020- 2021.
The Trust/Academy is proposing to reduce the Admission Number for Gladstone Primary Academy to 90. The reasons for this are set out below:
- Gladstone Primary Academy is situated in the centre of Peterborough. The school was expanded in 2014 to have the capacity for four form entry. The catchment area for Gladstone Primary Academy has remained the same, bordered by Sergeant Street, Lincoln Road, Taverners Road and Bourges Boulevard, a relatively small area given the possible capacity of the school.
- Over the last two years, the number of applications for Reception has been considerably lower than the 120 places on offer. Initial allocations have been just above 60 children each year and the number of children has grown over the year to 90, or just below 90 by the end of the academic year.
- The Academy Committee is particularly concerned about the level of mobility in reception classes as a result of classes not being full. Additional capacity in reception classes has resulted in many children from outside the catchment area being allocated places at Gladstone Primary Academy. Many of these children then left the Academy when space became available in a school nearer to their home. The stability of the reception cohort was 42% in the 2017-2018 academic year.
- The Academy Committee is equally concerned about the effect of spare places on the Academy’s finances.
- It is recognised that a reduction in the Published Admission Number to 90 would reduce the number of places available at the Academy. However, given the turnover of places in recent years it is expected that it would be possible to offer all local applicants a place on offer day or in the post offer day process.
- If numbers were significantly greater than expected, the option would remain to add a bulge class at the Academy.
The Trust is not proposing any changes to the admission criteria for the school. A copy of the proposed admissions policy is available on the Academy’s website: www.gpa.education.
Who is the Trust consulting with?
The Trust is consulting with parents of children at schools within Peterborough and early years providers, local residents, parents of any other children aged between two and eighteen, councillors, MPs, head teachers, governors and other local stakeholders.
Have Your Say
The Trust would like to receive your views on the proposed reduction to the Academy’s Admission Number.
Any written comments should be sent to the Thomas Deacon Education Trust
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org including the words ‘ADMISSIONS CONSULTATION’ in the title; or
- By post to: Helena Hillson, GPA Admissions Consultation, Thomas Deacon Education Trust, Queen’s Gardens, Peterborough PE1 2UW.
It would be helpful if you would indicate in what capacity you are responding (eg parent, teacher, governor etc.)
Please respond by 30th December 2018 when this consultation will close.
What Happens Next?
The Trust Board will consider all the responses to the consultation. It will then decide whether to implement the changes.
If approved, the changes would be introduced for September 2020 entry.